OptiView XG from Netscout
OptiView XG is potentially the fastest way to get to grips with your network. It can audit and Visio map your devices and how they are connected to the switches in a few minutes, then drop into a 1/10Gig connection and give line rate information as to who and what is using the network. Behind all this is a Packet capture engine for detailed work and a suite of wireless auditing and troubleshooting products as well.
The OptiView XG features:
- Automated network maps into Visio inside 30 minutes
- 10Gig connectivity and throughput testing
- 24 hour Application/TCP Testing
- Path Analysis – examines the health of every hop between the user and their services
- In-line and enhanced Packet Capture
- Full wireless, including 802.11ac support
- User configurable dashboard
The XG is a very unique network tool, attaining on the wire complex information quickly and easily, then displaying it in a simple to comprehend manner. Our engineers wouldn’t be without an XG on customer site for troubleshooting, base-lining and auditing.
Latest Version 14 firmware: Brings new “Network Health” dashboard and a Notification Center, plus you’ll notice the OptiView is now produced in the NETSCOUT green trade dress!
If you’re new to the tool, the XG is quite a different concept, why not watch a couple of the videos on the Downloads tab to get more of an idea about what it offers.
- 64bit tablet with touch screen
- Three 1Gig ports – allowing inline access at 1Gig
- A 10Gig port – capable of capturing & receiving 10Gig traffic at full line rate
- 3 wireless antenna for complete wireless LAN testing, including 802.11ac support
- Intuitive user interface & configurable dashboards
- User defined bespoke tests for critical business services
- Detailed application health and analysis by application
- Real time statistics on 10Gig links, plus rolling 24hr error log
- Utilization (by slot & port) and errors per interface along the path between two devices
- Graphical view of the path between two devices and how the inter-connectivting devices are performing
- In-line function provides real-time traffic analysis and in-line capture at line rate between connected devices
- Automated network mapping – flexible mapbased user interface to visually identify configuration and topology issues, speeding troubleshooting. One click sends the map data through a Visio file generator, creating instant, professional network documentation.
- Automatic, detailed system resources at the server such as memory and disk utilization
- Visibility into VMWare Environment
- Real-time NetFlow finds bandwidth hogs
- IPv6 Discovery and Analysis
- Ensure end-user QoE for Unified Communications
- Detailed, fast Network Discovery for instant visibility of what’s out there and where it’s connected in minutes
- Measure end-to-end network performance in terms of bandwidth, latency, jitter, loss and availability up to 10 Gbps – note: PTR remote or second XG unit required as remote end for 10G or a LinkRunnerAT for 1G
- New Windows Reflector – Easily-downloadable software agent for instant deployment on PCs anywhere in your network, for performance testing and troubleshooting wherever it is needed.
- HeadsUp XG™ mobile app for problem notifications – get problem notifications and explore XG’s Problem Log from your Apple® or Android phone or tablet.
- Integration with the NETSCOUT TruView appliance
- 10GBASE-T Adapter
Product in Detail
Automated Problem Detection
OptiView™ XG automatically scans for errors in the network infrastructure. These errors are collected in a Problem Log that can be categorized and sorted. Examples of problems detected are: performance problems, duplicate IP addresses, incorrect subnet masks, default router not responding and many more.
Network and Application Issue Reporting Engine
OptiView XG offers a number of built-in reports, making it quick and easy to report on application and network problems. These reports help you track performance and utilization statistics. While viewing a screen, pressing the Reports key will generate HTML or PDF reports on Protocols, Top Hosts, Top Conversations, Devices, Networks, Problems and many more. The intuitive interface facilitates customizing the out-of-the-box reports and also enables creation of completely customized reports using the configurable dashboards in just a few clicks. The ability to choose what data to populate in a report enables users to quickly see data exactly the way they need. You can even create reports for specific user profiles, making it easy to generate reports for specific departments or recipients.
Graphical Path Analysis
Path Analysis helps you understand the exact path taken by the application to quickly resolve application performance issues due to infrastructure. Path Analysis easily identifies the devices that are critical for application performance. With Path Analysis you can monitor all the interfaces that are along the path of the application. It also provides packet loss, delay and response time at each device to identify the device causing any issues. Path Analysis also enables you to keep a close eye on interface utilization along the path and any other system resources at the server. Speed up troubleshooting application and network performance issues by automatically validating that network services such as DHCP, and DNS are available and operating correctly, ensuring that server and application connectivity is accessible by opening specific TCP IPv4 and IPv6 ports on servers and reporting the round trip time as a combination of network latency and server connection set up time. Ensure servers are operating efficiently by viewing resources including number of users, processor, memory and disk utilization and services and process that are running.
Network Navigator shows you how devices are interconnected and provides an instant view into your network’s achitecture. One touch and you have a detailed report.
Trace SwitchRoute allows you to see the exact path two devices use to communicate through your switch and router fabric. During Path Analysis, a combination of layer 2 and layer 3 trace routes identifies the entire network path between the application client and the application server, speeding problem isolation. During the discovery, if a switch is discovered in the path, Trace SwitchRoute starts its switch path discovery. The displayed results include the DNS name and IP address, the inter-switch connections by port number, together with link speed and VLAN information. Highlighting any device in the Trace SwitchRoute name column and selecting Device Detail allows you to view that device’s network configuration information.
Real-time NetFlow finds bandwidth hogs
OptiView XG uses NetFlow to give you valuable insight into bandwidth usage in your enterprise without the complexity and expense involved in a traditional NetFlow analysis setup. The Application Infrastructure Analysis tests in the OptiView XG can collect NetFlow data from flow-enabled routing devices, and uses it to analyze network traffic and report on bandwidth usage across the network. Get instant real-time bandwidth usage reports on top applications, conversations, and hosts using bandwidth, for fast troubleshooting.
10 Gbps “On-The-Wire” analysis
OptiView XG provides line rate, real-time application and traffic analysis and troubleshooting on 10/100/1000 Mbps or 10 Gbps links.
VLAN Visibility and Trunk Analysis
Only “on the wire” analyzers can provide vision into actual VLAN trunk traffic. When connected to a switch trunk port, the OptiView XG will detect all VLANs available on that trunk, measure the traffic distribution across all the VLANs and provides the user with the capability of selecting a specific VLAN. If an individual VLAN is selected, device discovery, traffic statistics and packet capture data will be displayed only for that VLAN.
Full line-rate capture ensures complete analysis
Get 10 Gbps line-rate packet capture and filtering to troubleshoot problems where packet level analysis is required and perform advanced troubleshooting when deploying and analyzing applications. Sophisticated capture filters allow collection of more relevant data and limit the amount of traffic to analyze by filtering on individual addresses or conversation, IPv4 address range or subnet, or IPv6 prefix and protocols. The capture size can be up to 4GB.
The OptiView XG’s internal in-line tap function provides both real-time traffic analysis and in-line capture at line rate between connected devices, eliminating the need for an additional external hardware tap.
The AirMagnet WiFi Analyzer option gives OptiView XG total visibility into your wireless network. It’s a solution that simplifies key wireless network tasks such as:
- Wi-Fi based discovery of wireless access points and clients.
- Detection and location of rogue APs.
- Active client-based connectivity testing.
- Channel monitoring.
- Packet captures and decode for complete analysis of 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WLAN’s.
OptiView XG has built-in capability to analyze Virtual Machines and their host VMware ESX servers. This gives you the capability to quickly track virtual server health at-a-glance and ensure your mission critical applications never fail. OptiView XG’s discovery also gives the capability to find and analyze new virtual machines that are added to ESX host servers. Quickly check the health of your VMware ESX Server by monitoring CPU, memory utilization, number of virtual machines configured and running, and much more. View VM name, guest OS, and VM state, and detailed virtual machine health statistics including processor, memory, and network usage.
VoIP and wireless device discovery
The OptiView XG will discover VoIP devices including call managers and IP phones from Cisco®, Nortel®, Avaya® and Mitel®. Device capabilities and configurations may be viewed, allowing the user to easily identify and correct configuration issues during VoIP deployment.
The OptiView XG will discover and display complete IPv6 network and device inventory including routers, switches, wireless AP’s, DHCP6 servers and hosts. It enables you to identify active IPv6 devices in the network and those that may have problems in single-stack IPv6 networks. Router advertisements are analyzed and the OptiView XG displays detailed router information and settings. Easily identify applications that may be communicating using both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols.
Real-time in-depth infrastructure device analysis
Get granular, real-time (updated every 30 seconds) interface utilization and errors for determining if excessive traffic is the cause of performance problems. This granular data can be collected for 24 hours. Interfaces can be quickly sorted by I/F index, utilization, broadcasts, errors, or collisions. In-depth analysis, including:
- A tabular view of all switch port configurations, including the identity of each host and where it is connected.
- A graphical view of utilization and error rates on each switch port to see over-subscribed or error ports at a glance.
Quickly determine if performance problems are related to link speed or duplex mis-configurations, over-utilization or excessive hosts on a port.
Automated Network Mapping
Using OptiView’s powerful discovery engine, users can interact with their network in a flexible map-based user interface to visually identify configuration and topology issues, speeding troubleshooting. One click sends the map data through a Visio file generator, creating instant, professional network documentation.
Assess network readiness for new deployments by determining the impact of a new application, or the addition of network users, by stressing your network with simulated traffic – up to full 10 Gbps. Protocol type, frame size, frame rate, percentage utilization and number of frames to transmit are user configurable, along with the type of traffic: Broadcast, Multicast or Unicast.
The throughput test measures bidirectional data flow between two NETSCOUT devices to validate LAN and WAN throughput capabilities. The throughput test requires a second device to communicate with on your network. That second device can either be an OptiView XG Network Analysis Tablet (for 10 Gbps throughput) or an EtherScope, OneTouch AT, or LinkRunner Pro/AT (up to 1 Gbps). The Throughput test allows you to configure the following parameters:
- Data speed (up to10 Gbps) – maximum rate is determined by the link speed and duplex.
- Frame size – choose from seven different frame sizes or select sweep to run the test on seven preset frame sizes. OptiView XG provides support for jumbo frames up to 9000 bytes.
- Content – select payload for all 1s, all 0s, alternating 1s and 0s or random.
- Test duration can be 2 seconds to 18 hours.
User Configurable Dashboards
OptiView XG has extensively customizable dashboards that can be saved and exported to different members of your team. The dashboard provides an at-a-glance overview of the current status of your network, with critical metrics from routers, switches, firewalls, servers, services, application, and other infrastructure devices.
Remote user interface and access
Simply point a web browser at the IP address of a correctly configured OptiView XG Tablet to retrieve saved reports and capture files. You can also install a Remote User Interface (UI) and use your PC to remotely access an OptiView XG over a TCP connection. Once the Remote UI is installed, simply give the interface the IP address of the OptiView XG and see the default dashboards. You can then create your own remote dashboards to get your own view of the network. HeadsUp XG™ mobile app – get problem notifications and explore XG’s Problem Log from your Apple® or Android phone or tablet. Windows Reflector – Easily-downloadable software agent for instant deployment on PCs anywhere in your network, for performance testing and troubleshooting wherever it is needed.
Integration with TruView
Customers owning both the XG and TruView can now benefit from integration between the two solutions. XG users can pull End User Response Time (EURT) Metrics from TruView.
Below are some products you may be interested in.